Re: lynx-dev cache control

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev cache control
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 13:32:24 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 12 Sep 1999, Philip Webb wrote:

> > Is that enough "pointers, comments or suggestions" for now? :)
>
> certainly enough comment (smile), but no pointers/suggestions AFAIK ...

Pointers to what?  I gave you a (not very spprecise) pointer to previous
discussion, and an implied pointer to look for "no_cache" (or no-cache,
or nocache) in the source...

> i'm not interested in expiry dates etc etc,
> simply in getting the news stories which the WP/other sites list:
> eventually fresh stories appear in their indexes
> & meanwhile i assume what they send is the latest they have.

But one problem is that when you follow a link you don't necessarily
know whether what lynx displays is what they send now or what they sent
at some point earlier between starting lynx and now.  Some people leave
lynx running for days or weeks, I don't know what is your typical usage
pattern.

> all that takes is the binary flag above:
> I (emphatic) want to tell Lynx to cache ALL documents it receives
> -- i set the limit at  20  -- , regardless of what anyone out there says,
> leaving me the option of  ^r  if i want to get a fresh copy.

Even if it is a POST form submission?  Even if it is a local directory
listing, or some internally generated page?

> that should be real easy & something many real-life users would prefer,
> so any pointers/suggestions (smile)?

You didn't say you were ready to dive into the code, so my suggestion is
to ask for more specific pointers when that's the case.

   Klaus