Re: lynx-dev Keeping browsers from caching

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Keeping browsers from caching
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 11:54:13 +0100 (BST)

> Yes i have good reason (i have a firewall that is grabbing HTTP requests
> from the clients and presents a login CGI to authenticate them against a
> database and i wanted the login form not to be cached so when they get
> authen and there is a hole in the firewall for their IP their browser
> would not redisplay the form.

You are making problems for yourself by not using the standard HTTP
mechanisms.

The correct solution is to use proxy authentication, although I'm not
sure how good Lynx is at handling that.

Although you are not doing quite the same thing, it sounds a bit like
the security by obscurity approach to avoiding using HTTP end to end
authentication of giving out an unpublished URL.