Re: lynx-dev patch to spawn extra lynx's

From: Ismael Cordeiro
Subject: Re: lynx-dev patch to spawn extra lynx's
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 23:22:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 address@hidden wrote:

> I'm trying to use the EXTERNAL system to launch w3m on the current link (I
> was hoping I could get it to look at the locally cached file, but that's
> irrelevant at the moment).
>
> hitting dot just refreshes the link (and I have turned the pausing back on
> to make sure I'm not missing an error message).
>
> Checking the Configuration Definitions from the = screen, it says
> USE_EXTERNALS                       1
>
> Which I am hoping is the same as --enable-externs as mentioned above.

When you use "--enable-externs" with configure you get "#define USE_EXTERNALS
1" in lynx_cfg.h.

> my lynx.cfg contains:
> EXTERNAL:http:/usr/local/bin/w3m %s:TRUE

I have the lines below in my lynx.cfg and they work fine.

EXTERNAL:http:w3m %s:TRUE
EXTERNAL:ftp:wget -q %s &:TRUE

> (I originally had it as
> EXTERNAL:http:w3m %s &:TRUE

The "&" puts the process in background. It's good for wget and ther programs
that are supposed to work in the background, not w3m.

> but tried putting the whole path and taking off the & to see if it would
> help. As you can tell, it didn't..)

Does w3m works when you run it outside lynx? Try putting another program as
EXTERNAL and see if lynx is running it.

Ismael
       | ISMAEL CORDEIRO            | mailto:address@hidden     |
       | Production sound mixer     | http://ismael.cordeiro.com/    |
       | Montréal - Québec - Canada | ftp://ftp.cam.org/users/ismael |