Re: lynx-dev new encryption policy

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev new encryption policy
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 11:49:58 +0100 (BST)

> brief segment:
> Any encryption commodity or software of any key length can now be
> exported under a license exception (i.e., without a license) after a
> technical review, to commercial firms and other non-government end users
> in any country except for the seven state supporters of terrorism.

This breaks the GPL on at least two counts.  One is the GPL doesn't
allow you to prevent re-distribution to governments (or even, for
that matter, to state sponsors of terrorism).  The other is that
it doesn't allow you to redistribute code for which a royalty is payable
by any class of user (the one prevents distribution in the USA, even if
you believe that the escape clauses in section 8 of the licence are
invokeable by someone who doesn't own all the copyrights).

> So, if the "technical review" could be gotten for Lynx, does this help the
> SSL situation any?  I know this is basically a FAQ now..

The technical review is likely to expensive, apply to only one version of
the binary, and not be valid for the source code.