Re: lynx-dev Questions on your DOS Browser

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Questions on your DOS Browser
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 21:23:25 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Tom Burke wrote:

> We are a manufacturer of DOS based portable bar code (laser) terminals.  I
> am looking for a DOS Browser that we can run our terminal, which is a 486/33
> based terminal with 8MB RAM.  We only have a 16 line by 20 character screen
> (128x160 pixels), which is CGA graphics capable.  We also have only a 57-key
> keypad.  We do run standard DOS 6.22 (Datalight).
>
> Can your browser run on our terminal as is?  If not, could it be customized
> to run? Who would I contact?

I can't think of any reason why lynx shouldn't work. The DOS port
does require a packet driver. If you are browsing locally a null
packet driver can be used. You can try the binary at my site, if you
wish. The version at my site is built with SLang. The DOS port can
also be built with PDCurses. I am not sure which, if any, will work
better without modification using your keyboard. Be aware that the DOS
port is a work in progress, now using a new tcp library which is in
evolution. The source code and compiler are freely available if you
need to modify the source. See the README.DOS file in the following
package.

"http://www.rahul.net/dkaufman/lynx2.8.3dev.8-DOS.zip"; or
"ftp://ftp.rahul.net/pub/dkaufman/lynx2.8.3dev.8-DOS.zip";
                               Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)