Re: lynx-dev Lynx -- problem with post content

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx -- problem with post content
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 10:42:13 +0100 (BST)

> before submitting my trace log, my question is:  Why does it say
> "method not allowed" when trying to post the form?  What does the form

Because the *server* doesn't support POST for the URL you have submitted.

> Server: Apache/1.3.3 (Unix)  (Red Hat/Linux)
> Allow: GET, HEAD, OPTIONS, TRACE

These are the only methods permitted in this context.

It might be to do with the sneaky attempt to set cookies with the
Javascript failing and it might be that the page's non-script fallback
options have been broken for a long time.

The excessive amount of Javascript indicates that this page is a big 2
only page.  The text of the page clearly indicates that Javascript
is a pre-requisite.

You should probably point out to them the security alert that Microsoft
issued a week last Friday advising all IE5 users to disable script support,
because of a "run arbitrary program as browser user" type security problem.
Preferably try and access it with IE5 with Active Scripting disabled
in the security options, first.

Less effectively, you could mention the Web Accessibility Initiative, and
the US government's contract compliance enforcement of accessibility in
web pages of government suppliers.

A proper implementation of Javascript in Lynx would probably involve an
almost total re-write of the rendering engine, and even then would be
wasted on Javascript used to do "onmouseover" image switches.  Various
people have talked of partial implementations and hacks to recognize
common idioms.  Have you got a couple of man years to spare?