Re: lynx-dev Lynx under win95 2.8.2

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx under win95 2.8.2
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 05:03:56 -0500 (CDT)

Please send messages formatted as plain text, with proper line
endings, to the lynx-dev list, not pseudo HTML!

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Matthew Jurgens wrote:

>  Hope you can help.  I am trying to use lynx with the -dump option
> with multiple html pages. It works fine running lynx once for each
> page that I want to extract - except that some cookies are not held
> between sessions and some things that I do need the cookie info held
> over between sessions.

You are either talking (1) about cookies that *should* be stored (because
they have an expiration date and it is in the future) but for some
reason aren't - maybe a bug in lynx - or (2) about cookies that should
*not* be stored because they are meant as session cookies.  Please
clarify which.  (You should be able to see the cookies as transmitted,
with all attributes, with HEAD ('[' key)).

> Can lynx be modified to -dump multiple pages from the commmand line
> in one session - that way the cookie will be intact?  Thanks

Assuming (2) above:
- Sure, lynx can be modified by anyone - the source code is available.
  But don't expect the official lynx to be changed so that it will
  keep cookies permanently that shouldn't be kept longer than a "session".
  The only definition of "session" available and implemented is the
  standard one, i.e. one program invocation.
  If you need help for modifying your own copy, ask on the list.
- You may want to look into -traversal (possibly with -crawl), documented
  in the file CRAWL.announce.  It may not do what you want though.
  Don't use it for mass download of other people's pages (unless you have
  permission).  That could be regarded as abuse, lynx is not a proper
  Web spider or robot, it doesn't follow the robot conventions
  automatically (so it's your responsibility).

   Klaus