Re: lynx-dev re: Lynx does not save to disk

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev re: Lynx does not save to disk
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 10:54:55 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 26 Sep 1999, megelasr wrote:

> I downloaded the binary file from
> http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/current/

There is no Win32 binary here. There are pointers to 2 different
distribution sites. Did you get the Japanese version from Hiroyuki
Senshu or the version from Wayne Buttles at fdisk? What does it report
when you invoke "lynx -version"?

> Lynx is seated in the directory \lynx defined in the lynx.bat (in the
> windir)
> as home directory.
> here is the content of lynx.bat:

This looks fine.

>  In fact, now I can say that lynx downloads quite well the file;
> It stores the file correctly in the tmp dir,
> (in a Dos box I saw the file: exemple 14292907.zip in this case, and copied
> it
> of course!). When I accept the given filename, here msvibm.zip, it removes
> the temporary file without saving the given file; it does not copy anything
> in other words.

This sounds like you have a version that requires cp.exe to copy the
file from the temp directory to your destination directory. Some later
versions have this function built into the lynx binary. If you got the
version from fdisk, be sure that the cp.exe file is in your path. That
may be all that you need to fix the problem. If you have another file
named cp.exe earlier in your path, lynx may not be able to copy the
file properly.

> How do you know that only netscape or ie are accepted? Messages on
> your screen about frames are frequently incorrect. Do you have a
> specific URL that gives you trouble? If the site uses javascript, lynx
> may not be able to be used.
>
>  The site is cdmail.fr. I do not know if it is a javascript site
> but I cannot access it, and I am warned that IE or Netscape is wanted.

I use cdmail.fr myself with lynx. Perhaps you don't have a good URL
for text entry. Try the following, and use both frames.
"http://www.cdmail.fr/gb/catcd.htm";
                             Doug
__
Doug Kaufman