Re: lynx-dev More on lynx copyright

From: Klaus Peter Wegge
Subject: Re: lynx-dev More on lynx copyright
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 18:44:39 +0200 (MET DST)

Doug,

> The recent discussion about lynx copyright gives me the opportunity to
> ask something that has been puzzling me for over a year. Where is the
> license under which the CERN libwww code in lynx is released? We have
> a file, WWW/Copyright.txt, which refers to a CERN web page that hasn't
> existed for some time. I have spent time searching at CERN and at w3c,
> without being able to find that license. The current w3c license is
> readily availble, but shouldn't be applicable. Does anyone have either
> a copy of the license or a pointer to it?
See http://www.w3.org/Consortium/overview.html  : about W3C.
There you will find the following statements:

                      About The World Wide Web Consortium

  Leading the Web to its Full Potential...

   The W3C was founded in October 1994 to lead the World Wide Web to its
   full potential by developing common protocols that promote its
   evolution and ensure its interoperability. We are an international
   industry consortium, jointly hosted by the [6]Massachusetts Institute
   of Technology [7]Laboratory for Computer Science [MIT/LCS] in the
   United States; the [8]Institut National de Recherche en Informatique
   et en Automatique [INRIA] in Europe; and the [9]Keio University Shonan
   Fujisawa Campus in Japan. Services provided by the Consortium include:
   a repository of information about the World Wide Web for developers
   and users; reference code implementations to embody and promote
   standards; and various prototype and sample applications to
   demonstrate use of new technology. Initially, the W3C was established
   in collaboration with [10]CERN, where the Web originated, with support
   from [11]DARPA and the [12]European Commission. For details on the
   joint initiative and the contributions of CERN, INRIA, and MIT, please
   see the statement on the [13]joint World Wide Web Initiative.

   The Consortium is led by [14]Tim Berners-Lee, Director and creator of
   the World Wide Web, and [15]Jean-François Abramatic, Chairman. W3C is
   funded by [16]Member organizations, and is vendor neutral, working
   with the global community to produce specifications and reference
   software that is made freely available throughout the world.
I think, the last sentence solves the problem. Otherwise, we
should aks the W3C directly for a license statement.

Regards

Klaus-Peter