Re: lynx-dev More on lynx copyright

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev More on lynx copyright
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 00:52:29 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:

> I found the following text (appended in full) in a copy of an old
> version of the Debian package for the CERN httpd server
> (cern-httpd-3.0-4.*), as file debian.copyright.  Note the inclusion of
> the "W3 library of comon code".  This text is not present in the
> current Debian package (cern-httpd_3.0A-2.*), built from a newer
> upstream version by a different Debian maintainer.
>
> I don't know the origin of the statement.  A brief Web search did not
> reveal any other copies.  I have no reason to doubt that CERN made
> that statement, but it may never have accompanied any source release
> and they may have later changed their mind.  The statement may or may
> not apply to the code version from which the code in Lynx was actually
> derived, or portions of it, if it was taken from a later code release
> by CERN.

I did a bit more searching and I believe I found the files referred to
in the WWW/Copyright.txt file in the lynx distribution. The reference
to the "distribution conditions of WWW code" can be found at:
"http://www.w3.org/History/1993/WWW/Conditions/old/Introduction.html";

This file refers to the following subsection which Klaus quotes in his
post:
"http://www.w3.org/History/1993/WWW/Conditions/old/FreeofCharge.html";

I think that this statement should probably replace the lynx
WWW/Copyright.txt file, which is an incomplete rendering of the
original html page, without the key URL.
                             Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)