Re: lynx-dev Re: radio buttons

From: mattack
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: radio buttons
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 12:29:39 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Rick Lewis wrote:
>Actually, I'm not sure you  wasted bandwidth. The question about radio
>buttons is a frequently asked question. I've had more lynx users ask
>me why they get the prompt that one radio button must be checked at
>all times when they're trying to check one. In fact, one radio button
>*is* checked at all times, whether as a default or by the user.
>Even if it does follow the standard, radio buttons may be the most
>confusing aspects to lynx learners, and some never get it.

Wow..  So there are Lynx users who have NEVER used a GUI?

I use Lynx because it's fast and lets me accomplish most of my web browsing
much faster than with a GUI client.. but it is surprising that these people
may have not encountered radio buttons in a GUI.  (Wow, radio buttons..
this is such an anachronistic metaphor.)

>If lynx must have one radio button on by default, maybe a better prompt
>when a user selects this default button would be: "this choice has been
>selected" instead.

Maybe something like "One radio button must be selected in the group, this one
already is."  That would at least hopefully enforce the 'one selected in a
group' idea.