Re: lynx-dev Licensing Lynx

From: RobertM
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Licensing Lynx
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 21:31:10 +0100 (BST)

It is alleged that Janina Sajka once typed:
[snip]
> My second comment is to the folks desiring to equip blind users with web
> capable talking computer systems. This is a laudable effort. I support you
> and would be happy to advise, if you wish. I wonder, however, why you
> would build on DOS in this day and age. Seems to me Linux is a far better
> choice, given that free screen reader software is available for Linux, and
> given that Linux is so much more capable an OS. Also, it's an OS with a
> future, which DOS certainly isn't.

As a bit of a DOS nut I'd like to but in with a couple of points on
this:
1) DOS still has lower requirements than Linux. I can get a useable
   dos box, browsing the web using a 286 with 2mb of ram, I can't
   do that with linux.
2) The people at Caldera would disagree with you about DOS not having
   a future. It may not be going anywhere much in the desktop market
   but in the kiosk and embedded application market it's still
   quite healthy
and finally
3) For people that aren't either that technical or that interested in
   computers DOS has a far lower cost of ownership. Given how many
   people just turn off win95 boxes without shutting them down, I'd
   assume the same would happen with any unix box, DOS tends to cope
   with being killed like that quite a bit better than either *nix or
   win 95/NT

Just my tuppence ha'penny's worth.

[snip]
--