Re: lynx-dev Crypto Question

From: Janina Sajka
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Crypto Question
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 18:26:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 1 Oct 1999, Ismael Cordeiro wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Oct 1999, Janina Sajka wrote:
>
> > > Configure doesn't look for SSL. You have to specify its location in
> > > makefile.in. The way I do is to set SSL_DIR in makefile.in to
> > > /home/ismael/ssl before configuring.
> > >
> > I think I'm doing this, but I still fail to compile. Here're the relevant
> > lines from my makefile.in:
> >
> > SSL_DIR= ~isrd/bin/lynx282
> > SSL_LIBS= -L$(SSL_DIR)/lib -lssl -lcrypto
> > SSL_DEFINES= -I$(SSL_DIR)/include -DUSE_SSL
>
> If "isrd" is your home directory, try using SSL_DIR=~/isrd/bin/lynx282

Yes, I've done that too. No cigar. I've tried both with a full path, and
with ~isrd. It fails differently, but it fails.

> > On running make, I fail as follows:
> >
> > Linking and creating Lynx executable
> > gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H   -DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/local/share/locale\"  -I.  -I..
> > -Ichrtrans  -I./chrtrans  -I..  -I../src  -I../WWW/Library/Implementation
> > -I~isrd/bin/lynx282/include -DUSE_SSL -O2  -o lynx  LYClean.o LYShowInfo.o
> > LYEdit.o LYStrings.o  LYMail.o HTAlert.o GridText.o LYGetFile.o  LYMain.o
> > LYMainLoop.o LYCurses.o LYBookmark.o LYUtils.o  LYOptions.o LYReadCFG.o
> > LYSearch.o LYHistory.o  LYForms.o LYPrint.o LYrcFile.o LYDownload.o
> > LYNews.o LYKeymap.o  HTML.o HTFWriter.o HTInit.o DefaultStyle.o LYLocal.o
> > LYUpload.o  LYLeaks.o LYexit.o LYJump.o LYList.o LYCgi.o LYTraversal.o
> > LYEditmap.o LYCharSets.o LYCharUtils.o LYMap.o LYCookie.o LYExtern.o
> > LYStyle.o LYHash.o LYPrettySrc.o UCdomap.o UCAux.o UCAuto.o
> > ../WWW/Library/Implementation/libwww.a  -lcurses  -lnsl -lsocket
> > -L~isrd/bin/lynx282/lib -lssl -lcrypto
> > *** Error code 1
> > *** Error code 1
>
> I can't see what's the problem except for a wrong path. Which version of SSL
> are you using?

Ah, it's 0.9. something from August 1999. The OpenSSL site had it named as
the latest. It compiled with no problems just a few days ago.

> > PS: I've tried using a full path, /helen1/isrd/bin/lynx282 -- but that's
> > even worse. make barely gets going before I fail on an error that it can't
> > find /helen1/isrd/bin/lynx282/include -- though it's most assuredly there.
>
> Go to that "lynx282" directory and enter "pwd". What does it say?
pwd yields:
/helen1/isrd/bin/lynx282

ls yields:
bin/      include/  lib/      ls.txt    openssl/  pwd.txt

PS: I put the 'ls' and 'pwd' output in .txt files -- just to close this
question! <grin>

> > Unless ya'all have a specific suggestion, my next thought is to give up
> > trying to install to a different location, and just build everything in the
> > same dir where I want the executable to reside. It's just my old habit to
> > install from some kind of tmp dir--seems cleaner.
>
> I have no specific suggestion. I've never had problems I could not solve when
> compiling SSLeay or openSSL and then compiling lynx with SSL. On this system
> here my home directory is "/home/ismael", the directory where I compile lynx
> is "/home/ismael/lynx", the SSL directory is "/home/ismael/ssl" and
> everything works fine.
It sounds like the only thing I'm doing differently is that I'm compiling
from a different directory and asking for the executable to be placed in
~isrd/bin/lynx282. Otherwise, it sounds the same.

I'm compiling from ~isrd/bin/tmp/lynx2-8-2.

> I hope you'll succeed.

Thanks! I hate IE!!

> Ismael
> --
>        | ISMAEL CORDEIRO            | mailto:address@hidden     |
>        | Production sound mixer     | http://ismael.cordeiro.com/    |
>        | Montr?al - Qu?bec - Canada | ftp://ftp.cam.org/users/ismael |

                                Janina Sajka, Director
                                Information Systems Research & Development
                                American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

address@hidden