Re: lynx-dev Licensing Lynx: Summary

From: Brett Glass
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Licensing Lynx: Summary
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 14:14:15 -0600

At 03:24 PM 10/5/99 -0400, Janina Sajka wrote:

>Oh, for heaven's sake. Do you really expect to be taken seriously with
>If you're going to respond to me, I'd like to hear what your
>qualifications are to write apps for blind people. Answer that first,
>please.

None. Absolutely none. How about that!

Actually, we're very good coders with many years of experience, have
written Braille translation and text-to-speech software, have a number of
excellent and highly critical testers lined up to give us feedback, and want
very much to create something good.

However, neither these qualifications nor any others should be necessary.
If we fail, it's our problem -- and our wasted time and effort, and absolutely
no damage is done to anyone but us. There is no reason why we -- or, for that
matter, a hundred groups of people -- should not ALL be able to use the code
to create. If any one of those groups succeeds, it's a blessing. And if more
do,
well, so much the better. (But of course, Richard Stallman says that we must
all be stopped, because -- horrors! -- something that we added might be worthy
of being paid a pittance for our work.)

"Qualifications?" Sheesh! Would you have told Linus Torvalds that he never
should have created Linux, because he was only a student and therefore "not
qualified" to do so? You should be damned glad that ANYONE would make an effort
to do anything like this, given the unlikelihood of so much as breaking even
on it. If no such projects ever see the light of day, it's because your spite
and malice killed them.

--Brett Glass