Re: lynx-dev Licensing Lynx: Summary (Repost with a few typos correcte

From: Brett Glass
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Licensing Lynx: Summary (Repost with a few typos corrected)
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 14:53:27 -0600

At 01:19 PM 10/5/99 -0700, address@hidden wrote:

>Well, if you do create a general purpose browser that works on UNIX shells,
>I hope you release it to the public, ESPECIALLY if it supports things that
>Lynx doesn't do, such as JavaScript, or things that Lynx doesn't do well,
>such as render tables.

We actually have in mind releasing some of this for general use -- including
voice-aware console drivers. They'd have to be part of whatever we did
anyway. Whatever we released as source would be available under the BSD
license, which means that our fellow programmers -- even for-profit -- could
use them.

>Heck, if the w3m browser did cookies and SSL and didn't have quite an annoying
>interface (you have to ACTIVATE a text field to type into it), I'd use it
>in place of Lynx.  But it doesn't, and I've seen no other worthy challengers
>to Lynx (except the vague mention on slashdot.org a few months ago)..

There's not much market to stimulate the development of such a product. It
has to be a labor of love. The idea is to be able to pay the programmers,
not make a profit overall.

--Brett