Re: problems for blind users (was: lynx-dev Licensing Lynx)

From: Gene Collins
Subject: Re: problems for blind users (was: lynx-dev Licensing Lynx)
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 14:31:26 -0400

Hi Karen and Jane.  Lynx32 runs under Windows 95/98/nt.  You won't be
able to get Real Audio access using Lynx386, since there is not a real
audio player for MS-DOS, and lynx386 is a DOS app, not a windows 3.x
application.  This means that it can't use the Windows 3.x winsock which
Real Audio for Windows 3.x requires.  I'd recommend that you upgrade to
Windows 98 and Jaws for Windows, if possible.  The reason that you
aren't getting lynx386 to read directly is that Artic needs to have
macros written for just about every program that is run under it.  On
the other hand, if your machine is anything less than a pentium 133,
installing Windows 98 may not be such a great choice either.  You might
consider switching screen readers and using ASAP.  This will at least
let lynx386 read text automatically when it comes on the screen, or when
you scroll, as well as automatically speaking links when you move over
them with the arrrow keys.  I'm using all three versions of lynx,
lynx386, lynx32, and the Linux version of lynx.  They all have proven to
be most satisfactory browsers.

Gene Collins (address@hidden)