lynx-dev RE: Vintage LYNX

From: Al Gilman
Subject: lynx-dev RE: Vintage LYNX
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 12:19:59 -0500

At 08:00 AM 10/7/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi Al,
>
>Thanks for your reply.  The notetakers are 8088s.  An old technology, but
>quite a lot of our blind users still rely on them.  They have an internet
>component and in the past were able to use LYNX along with Compuserve
>dial-up.  They don't have much in the way of memory, so that is a limitation
>as far as installing files on them, but I did pull down a copy of Bobcat.
>Would that be the one to try?

That is _a_ one to try.

There is a limit to where it pays to invest in maintaining compatibility with
so puny a device.  If it has less raw compute power than a Palm III, you have
to wonder.

For further advice indicating the pros and cons of different ones to try, you
might want to try the doslynx-dev list if that still runs.

You should also think about hosting a HumanWare-sponsored transcoder site.
This would be the equivalent of a proxy server except that the server would
run
a transcoder [Lynx -dump would serve] on the retrieved page to reduce it to
text or more likely an XML dialect with hotlinks that was then sent on to the
note-taker-user.  This is the strategy being pursued by the telephone browser
industry.

Did you read Walt Mossberg's review of browsing WebClippings with your Palm
VII
in the WSJ?

Al