Re: lynx-dev How can I "paste" a text file into a website input field?

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev How can I "paste" a text file into a website input field?
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:10:49 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, E. Six wrote:

>   The web address of the BLAST server is:
>
>         http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/BLAST/
>
> Choosing  (e.g.) the  'Basic Blast' search; the blank field to receive
> the input sequence will be presented.
>
>   I am using the Lynx program provided by the "Blue" Unix mainframe
> (that also handles the e-mail here).

...which is AIX Version 4, according to the login banner...

> Usually I access Blue from the
> DOS prompt of my PC using the Kermit communications program.
>   Until some time ago (last year) I could "paste" a sequence into the
> Blast input field by raw upload of a sequence file from my PC using
> the Kermit  'TRANSMIT' command. But this is no longer possible.

Please describe what happens when you do that.  What is on the screen
after the TRANSMIT finishes?  Are there any error messages?
Where is the cursor, or is a different field selected?

Do data get transmitted partially?  Does it work with small files?

> I wonder if an update of the Lynx program might be responsible for no
> longer allowing me the pasting. The present Lynx is the 2.8rel.2
> version.

Another possibility is that something in the Web page has changed.

Lynx itself wouldn't really know the difference whether the data comes
from a TRANSMIT-ed file or whether you all typed it in.  Except that
data will be arriving faster, but I don't see how that would bother
lynx.  (It might be an issue for kermit and "Blue"'s tty driver though).
Can you use TRANSMIT successfully to paste text into other programs,
like any editor's buffer?

How long are your data files, and how are they separated into lines?
How long is the longest line?

>   Using Windows (hence not Kermit) to access Blue, then contacting the
> BLAST site via Lynx also did not allow me to paste a sequence file
> into the BLAST input field.
>   Any advice you could give me concerning this problem I should
> greatly appreciate.

The input field in question is an HTML TEXTAREA, and lynx 2.8.2 and
later has improved ways for handling TEXTAREA input.  So upgrading to
a newer version might help you (and I would recommend it anyway),  but
without more details I don't know whether that would actually solve
your problem.

   Klaus