Re: lynx-dev Re: patch to spawn extra lynx's

From: mattack
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: patch to spawn extra lynx's
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 11:45:11 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Yury Burkatovsky wrote:
>I looked at recent Lynx mail and tried to guess if you have found a way of
>running w3m by the EXTERNAL (".") command in lynx.
>
>Just in case you haven't, try my settings in lynx.cfg:
>
>a) if you have multi-window X environment, open w3m in a side window and
>   continue browsing with lynx:
>
>         EXTERNAL:http:xterm -e sh -c "/usr/local/bin/w3m %s" &:TRUE
>
>b) in case you have to open w3m on the same screen and suspend lynx until
>   you exit,
>
>         EXTERNAL:http:sh -c "/usr/local/bin/w3m %s":TRUE

Nope, it still doesn't work for me.  I unaliased lynx so that I wasn't missing
error messages (I usually use -nopause).

As far as I can tell in my simple experiments, the first time I hit dot, the
message at the bottom of the screen flickers and repaints.  But there is
no error message being printed.  (I do not have pause turned off!!  I
paranoidly checked this several times.)

But it's not running w3m.  I also added the full path to sh just in case.

An even better version of this (once something is working) would be to get
screen to open a new 'window' to run w3m in on the page, then when I quit
w3m, to switch back to the original Lynx session.  I don't know if screen is
this sophisticated though.