Re: lynx-dev patch to spawn extra lynx's

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: Re: lynx-dev patch to spawn extra lynx's
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 02:14:53 -0600

On Wed, Oct 13, 1999, address@hidden (address@hidden) said:

| An even better version of this (once something is working) would be to get
| screen to open a new 'window' to run w3m in on the page, then when I quit
| w3m, to switch back to the original Lynx session.  I don't know if screen
| is this sophisticated though.

If you're refering to the screen(1) UNIX program, then yes, it can do
that (at least the more recent versions can ... not sure about older
versions).

Check your man page for screen(1) for something similar to:

 > SYNOPSIS
 >        screen [ -options ] [ cmd [ args ] ]

          [...]

 >        In addition, new
 >        windows can be created by running a command like:
 >
 >               screen emacs prog.c
 >
 >        from a shell prompt within a  previously  created  window.
 >        This will not run another copy of screen, but will instead
 >        supply the command name and its arguments  to  the  window
 >        manager  (specified  in the $STY environment variable) who
 >        will use it to create the new window.  The  above  example
 >        would  start  the emacs editor (editing prog.c) and switch
 >        to its window.

          [...]

 >        screen [-opts] [n] [cmd [args]]
 >
 >        Establish a new window.  The flow-control options (-f, -fn
 >        and -fa), title (a.k.a.) option (-t),  login  options  (-l
 >        and -ln) , terminal type option (-T <term>), the all-capa-
 >        bility-flag (-a) and scrollback option (-h <num>)  may  be
 >        specified  with each command.  The option (-M) turns moni-
 >        toring on for this window.  The option (-L)  turns  output
 >        logging  on  for  this window.  If an optional number n in
 >        the range 0..9 is given, the window number n  is  assigned
 >        to the newly created window (or, if this number is already
 >        in-use, the next available number).  If a command is spec-
 >        ified  after  "screen", this command (with the given argu-
 >        ments) is started in the window;  otherwise,  a  shell  is
 >        created.  Thus, if your ".screenrc" contains the lines
 >
 >                    # example for .screenrc:
 >                    screen 1
 >                    screen -fn -t foobar -L 2 telnet foobar
 >
 >        screen  creates a shell window (in window #1) and a window
 >        with a TELNET connection to the machine  foobar  (with  no
 >        flow-control  using  the  title "foobar" in window #2) and
 >        will write a logfile ("screenlog.2") of  the  telnet  ses-
 >        sion.   Note,  that  unlike previous versions of screen no
 >        additional default window is created  when  "screen"  com-
 >        mands are included in your ".screenrc" file. When the ini-
 >        tialization is completed, screen switches to the last win-
 >        dow  specified in your .screenrc file or, if none, opens a
 >        default window #0.

In fact, since you seem to be having trouble having the EXTERNAL facility
in "lynx" firing-up "w3m", have a go at letting "screen" start it up
(with lynx's EXTERNAL doing something like "screen w3m %s"), and see if
that works.

/kim