Re: lynx-dev megapatch to dev.10 - and a rant

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev megapatch to dev.10 - and a rant
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 13:43:39 +0900 (JST)

> whether a code alternative should be in the code or not.  If you
> can't decide, and feel the need to include several variants, then
> maybe the change isn't worth it at all.  I'm not talking about
> features that it might make sense to disable or enable at compile
> time, but those where it really doesn't make sense to provide
> configurability (and I would count NO_DUMP_WITH_BACKSPACES,

It used to be that such code was "carried" by the author, i.e., the
author hacked and tweaked, resynced with the dev set when appropriate,
but did not submit anything until he/she could decide what was best
-- for a majority of users.  Often times major changes were offered
as separate trees or as large patches for testing.  (How many _years_
do you think Hiroyuki was spending the time maintaining an up-to-date
code set before he "went public" with his mods?)  I don't think it is
a rant to discourage the incorporation of changes which are largely
personal preferences, and should remain such.

__Henry