lynx-dev Re: justification+hyphenation

From: Juan-Carlos Lerman
Subject: lynx-dev Re: justification+hyphenation
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 10:15:25 -0700

Vlad Harchev wrote:

>   Does anybody enjoy justification+hyphenation of the quoted text? :)

On the contrary. I and many others don't enjoy. In fact we find
it annoying:

1. It has been shown, at least a decade ago, that unequal spacing
   between words is undesirable on ergonomical/perceptual grounds.
   Such justified text is more difficult to read. It might be
   considered "prettier" by some, but measurements show it takes
   more processing time by our personal brains. This assessment
   pertains to *equally spaced fonts* rather than to *variable
   fonts.*

2. Hyphenation can be linguistically disturbing for one or other
   group of users since the rules for British English are quite
   different from the rules for American English. It's also more
   ergonomically/perceptually difficult to read, for similar
   reasons and conditions as mentioned above.

My personal wish is that such alleged improvements are kept in
the realm of private use and are never implemented by public Lynx
systems which are relyed upon by people with a diversity of
deficits (visual, attention, learning, alertness, and other
impairements).

JC

==