Re: lynx-dev Re: justification+hyphenation

From: mattack
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: justification+hyphenation
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 14:31:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 15 Oct 1999, Juan-Carlos Lerman wrote:
>Vlad Harchev wrote:
>
>>   Does anybody enjoy justification+hyphenation of the quoted text? :)
>
>On the contrary. I and many others don't enjoy. In fact we find
>it annoying:
>
>1. It has been shown, at least a decade ago, that unequal spacing
>   between words is undesirable on ergonomical/perceptual grounds.
>   Such justified text is more difficult to read. It might be
>   considered "prettier" by some, but measurements show it takes
>   more processing time by our personal brains. This assessment
>   pertains to *equally spaced fonts* rather than to *variable
>   fonts.*

I think I agree with you, but why do newspapers do it?

Actually, what I _really_ hate is when something happens like this, in
newspapers:

This is a column
of text that ex-
actly  fits  the
width but  every
once in a  while
a  single   word
s t r e c h e s
out like that.

That's way more annoying than multiple spaces in words..

Sorry for the off topic stuff, just my gut reaction to justification.
Newspapers must do it for a reason though.

>My personal wish is that such alleged improvements are kept in
>the realm of private use and are never implemented by public Lynx
>systems which are relyed upon by people with a diversity of

Waaait..  Why not just implement them but turn them OFF by default?
Sure, I think there is a threshhold below which things may not be
added to the main Lynx distribution (or at least only be compiled in
specially), but even though I don't like justification and hyphenation,
it's something that I could imagine a lot of people liking..