lynx-dev Re: -post_data

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: lynx-dev Re: -post_data
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 00:40:45 -0400

On Mon, Oct 18, 1999 at 11:25:03PM -0400, Matt Staley wrote:
> How the heck do I use -post_data?   if the web site has like this,
> <FORM NAME="lookup_form" METHOD="POST" ACTION="/cgi-bin/zip_agent"
>   onSubmit="return ValidateLookupForm()">
> <input type=text name="city" size=24>
> <input type=text name="state" size=2>
> <input type=text name="zip" size=2>
> </form>
> If i just want to type one command to pass a value like 21777 to zip and
> ignore the rest...how do i do it?
> i tried like:
> lynx -auth=joe:somepwd -post_data http://www.somewebsite.com/lookup.html <
> test
> and test file content is:
> zip=21777
> ----
> What am i doing wrong?

Hmm.  Here's some 'one-line' commands that I just ran against a
form at the NetBSD site (one line in that they don't run until the
last entry):

$  cat pd1

echo '
number=6552
---
' | lynx -post_data http://www.NetB D.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl

$ cat pd2

echo '
originator=Jim%20Spath
---
' | lynx -post_data http://www.NetB D.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-list.pl

pd1 outputs one problem report by number:
00:33:21/jim> ./pd1

                          NetBSD Problem Report #6552

pd2 outputs 8 matches based on the originator:
00:33:27/jim> ./pd2

                     NetBSD Problem Database Query Results

8 matches found.

Marvin the Paranoid Android.