Re: lynx-dev -post_data

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev -post_data
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 05:30:24 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Matt Staley wrote:

> How the heck do I use -post_data?   if the web site has like this,
> <FORM NAME="lookup_form" METHOD="POST" ACTION="/cgi-bin/zip_agent"
>   onSubmit="return ValidateLookupForm()">
> ...blah blah
> <input type=text name="city" size=24>
> ...blah blah
> <input type=text name="state" size=2>
> ...blah blah
> <input type=text name="zip" size=2>
> ...blah blah
> </form>

The use of onSubmit can mean that it won't work with lynx at all
since something like javascript is required.  In that case the
other attributes (NAME, METHOD, ACTION) may be rather meaningless.
But we don't know that.

> If i just want to type one command to pass a value like 21777 to zip and
> ignore the rest...how do i do it?

The form recipient will probably expect something for 'city' and 'state'.
So make your data at least

city=&state=&zip=21777

> i tried like:
> lynx -auth=joe:somepwd -post_data http://www.somewebsite.com/lookup.html <
> test
>
> What am i doing wrong?

You are sending your stuff to the wrong URL!
You need the URL from the ACTION attribute, not that of the page
containing the form.

If you have more questions, *please describe what is happening and give
us the error messages and so on*.

Check the lynx-dev archives.  There were several related threads in
the last 2 or 3 months, look for "post_data" in the subject.

Also check the current month's archive for other responses, if you have
not subscribed to the list.

   Klaus