Re: lynx-dev -post_data / JavaScript

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev -post_data / JavaScript
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 10:08:41 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Matt Staley wrote:

> if you're curious about what kind of login i'm talking about.  Go to
> http://www.bellsouthwd.com/dis/dealer/lookup/lookup.html

Ok, looks like it's just using standard basic HTTP Authentication, so
that alone should not be a problem for lynx (if you use -auth=).

It isn't clear whether the form submission URL (from the ACTION attribute)
itself requires authentication at all, after all it seems to be a quite
different URL not under /dis/dealer/.

> Also..if you want to see the javascript of Validatelookup.  here it
> is:

Well I tried to understand it; it doesn't really seem to match the
FORM you have shown (abbreviated) in another message.  For one thing,
"county" didn't appear there.  For another, the javascript seems to
assume that "state" is a popup, not a text input field.  Anyway I
don't really *know* javascript, just making some more-or-less educated
guesses.  To make better guesses, I'd have to see the full page (to
see, among other things, the exact URLs, or whether cookies get
involved, or something else weird).  I won't ask you to send the full
page, since after all it's password protected so the authors probably
would not like that kind of distribution of their "code".

I would try to unravel this from the other end: try to find out what
exactly that other GUI browser is sending when everything is working
as expected.  Then figure out how to make lynx send the same thing.

Direct that other browser through a proxy that can log all the traffic,
junkbuster comes to mind, it should be able to do that.  Or use tcpdump,
a network sniffer, or whatever else it takes to see what your computer
is sending.

   Klaus