Re: lynx-dev something wrong with LYNXKEYMAP

From: Larry W. Virden
Subject: Re: lynx-dev something wrong with LYNXKEYMAP
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 21:08:43 -0400 (EDT)

Yikes!  Did I misunderstand this statement?

> There is a more or less universal mapping, based on vt2xx terminals, and
> that's what lynx assumes by default.  It certainly makes more sense than
> assuming *your* non-"standard" environment by default.

Reading this, one _might_ be tempted to make a leap of semi-logic to
say that it implies that lynx has 'hard coded' assumptions regarding specific
escape sequences.  Surely it goes to the terminfo database to pick up the
specific sequences , based on general 'key sym' names, doesn't it?

If the 'general key sym' strategy is what is implemented, then as long as a
user knows the key sym names being used, they should be able to construct
a terminfo entry matching their terminal's characteristics.

On the other hand, if there are hard coded escape sequences, then one has
to do something to 'convert' any odd ball terminals into lynx's idea of
what is standard...
--
Larry W. Virden                 <URL: mailto:address@hidden>
-><-