Re: lynx-dev configuring screen colors

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev configuring screen colors
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 18:54:20 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, bud wrote:

> my isp allows me to run lynx 2.8.2 by using the alias lynx28s.  everything
> comes up as bright blue on white.  i'd like to have the normal screen in
> blue on white with only the highlighted linkx being bright blue on white.
> the tech support guy at my isp has been asked several times, but he
> doesn't seem to know how i can change things.
> any ideas?
> the reason this is so important is that i am blind and i need to have some
> change in colors in order for my screen reader to work properly.

There are a few ways to fix this. The simplest is if your ISP puts the
line:
INCLUDE:~/lynx.cfg
at the END of the systemwide lynx.cfg file. Then you can put a file
called "lynx.cfg" in your HOME directory containing only the color
statements that you wish to change. If they don't want to do that, you
should be able to make a similar file in your HOME directory, with the
line:
INCLUDE:path_to_systemwide_lynx_cfg/lynx.cfg
as the FIRST line, followed by your color changes. You would then have
to run lynx as "lynx -cfg=~/lynx.cfg". Of course you can put the whole
lynx.cfg file, edited as you wish, in your HOME directory and run lynx
using that.

All this assumes that lynx is set up by your ISP allowing you to use
alternate configuration files. The instructions for altering color
are in the lynx.cfg file. Just search there for the word "COLOR".
Excerpt from lynx.cfg about INCLUDE follows. You may want to forward
this to the contact person at your ISP. If they have tight security on
lynx.cfg for some reason, the included file can be limited to color
changes.

# Starting with Lynx 2.8.1, the lynx.cfg file has a crude "include"
# facility.  This means that you can take advantage of the global lynx.cfg
# while also supplying your own tweaks.
#
# You can use a command-line argument (-cfg /where/is/lynx.cfg) or an
# environment variable (LYNX_CFG=/where/is/lynx.cfg).
# For instance, put in your .profile or .login:
#
#   LYNX_CFG=~/lynx.cfg; export LYNX_CFG   # in .profile for sh/ksh/bash/etc.
#   setenv LYNX_CFG ~/lynx.cfg             # in .login for [t]csh
#
# Then in ~/lynx.cfg:
#
#   INCLUDE:/usr/local/lib/lynx.cfg
#           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ or whatever is appropriate on your system
# and now your own tweaks.
#
# Starting with Lynx 2.8.2, the INCLUDE facility is yet more powerful.  You can
# suppress all but specific settings that will be read from included files.
# This allows sysadmins to provide users the ability to customize lynx with
# options that normally do not affect security, such as COLOR, VIEWER, KEYMAP.
#
# The syntax is
#
#   INCLUDE:filename for <space-separated-list-of-allowed-settings>
#
# sample:
#INCLUDE:~/lynx.cfg for COLOR VIEWER KEYMAP
# only one space character should surround the word 'for'.  On Unix systems ':'
# is also accepted as separator.  In that case, the example can be written as
#INCLUDE:~/lynx.cfg:COLOR VIEWER KEYMAP
# In the example, only the settings COLOR, VIEWER and KEYMAP are accepted by
# lynx.  Other settings are ignored.  Note:  INCLUDE is also treated as a
# setting, so to allow an included file to include other files, put INCLUDE in
# the list of allowed settings.
                            Doug
__
Doug Kaufman