Re: lynx-dev Getting image in the screen and source from command line (f

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Getting image in the screen and source from command line (fwd)
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 21:35:24 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Philip Webb wrote:

> > Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 22:25:12 +0500
> > From: L R RAMESH <address@hidden>
> >

> > We like add little graphics to the same unit while browsing.
> > Our isp using lynx version 2.7 in the unix system for the shell account.
>
> you should get your ISP to upgrade to the latest 2-8-2
> from  www.slcc.edu/lynx/release ; 2-8-3 should be released soon.

Yes; or compile your own copy of the new version in the shell account,
if you are allowed to.

> > There is no provision to add any program in the host sytem.
> > We are not getting source of the web page from the unix prompt.
> > ie  lynx -source filename  is not giving the source in the standard output,

It should.  Maybe there is something wrong with the ISP's lynx 2-7.

> > whereas  lynx -dump filename  is dumping the page
> > but not the source of the web page.
> >
> > We able to get the source while browsing by  \ .
> > Is there any configuration is needed to get the source from prompt?

Normally no special configuration is needed.

> > Is there any method to access the source from the unix prompt?

It should work as you did it.

What do you get when you try -source - some error messages, or
nothing at all?

You may want to try -trace together with -source and see what it says.

Also try combining -source with -dump (this is just a wild guess).

Is there anything special about the URL (or filename)?  For example,
is it compressed?

There are other programs that can be used to "get the source" of
Web pages, for example a program called "wget".  If you only want
to retrieve source, lynx may be overkill.

   Klaus