lynx-dev Bug with "-cfg" flag in lynx 2.8.2

From: rohan . oberoi
Subject: lynx-dev Bug with "-cfg" flag in lynx 2.8.2
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 11:37:16 -0400

I have tested this bug on Solaris 2.5.1 (sparc) as well as on Linux
2.2.10 (intel), running tcsh as well as bash.

To reproduce:

% ls
foo.html
% more foo.html
<!------ a comment -------->
Some text
% touch lynx.cfg
% ls
foo.html  lynx.cfg
%

Now, if you run "lynx foo.html", Lynx will correctly display the
phrase "Some text".

However, if you run "lynx -cfg lynx.cfg foo.html", Lynx will display a
blank screen.

If you remove the comment line from the HTML, both commands will
correctly display "Some text".

I have no familiarity with the Lynx 2.8.2 code, so I can't really
speculate on what might cause this bug, but it obviously has something
to do with comments, and probably something to do with comments inside
tables.

-- Rohan.

I noticed this very bizarre bug while looking at the following URL:
http://www.salonmagazine.com/21st/feature/1998/05/cov_12feature.html