Re: lynx-dev Problems of DOS port (dev12)

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Problems of DOS port (dev12)
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 19:02:57 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Harri Tuominen wrote:

> I downloaded dev12 from Doug Kaufman's site and noticed two problems.
>
> When I use Lynx it occasionally gives a few error messages. When this
> happens, the only chance is to press control-break and interrupt the
> Lynx session. The message was something like this:
> Pcpkt.c (1152): pkt_inf == NUL

As far as I knew, this error message only showed up on exiting lynx when
ftp: or gopher: urls were accessed, and didn't affect the function of
lynx. The error message comes from the watt-32 code. Dev.12 was compiled
with watt-32 2.0 rel.dev.6, while dev.8 was compiled with watt-32 2.0
rel.dev.5. Gisle has been making a number of improvements in the watt32
code, but it is still beta and still in flux.

What exactly did you do that triggered lynx to hang? Or is it the computer
hanging when you attempt to exit lynx? Dev.12 was compiled with PDCURSES
for those who wanted to do BIOS writes rather than direct screen writes
(apparently helpful with some screen readers). I wouldn't expect this to
make a big difference, but the PDCURSES version with WATT-32 has not
been extensively tested.

I noted this morning that I made a typing error in the makefile, so
EXTERNAL support should be broken on this binary. I'll try to get a
corrected binary up soon. If necessary, I can try to also do SLang build
of the same version, to see if the interaction of watt-32 with the
PDCURSES code is the problem.

> I haven't changed wattcp.cfg after dev8, which was working very well.
>
> Another problem is that sending mail doesn't work via print menu. It was
> OK in dev8. Lynx doesn't call sendmail.bat at all in the dev12 if I try
> to send mail through print menu.

I haven't changed anything here, but I have never tried to do sendmail
from the print menu. I'll try to check the code to see how it interfaces
with the sendmail batch file system for DOS, and what may have changed
between versions.

> Mailto URLs work as before. I use my traditional sendmail.bat
> (sendmail.old) without problems with dev8 and earlier versions.

                                Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden