lynx-dev Re: Observations on latest Win32 lynxes

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: lynx-dev Re: Observations on latest Win32 lynxes
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 13:28:14 -0400

On Thu, Oct 21, 1999 at 07:52:24AM -0500, address@hidden wrote:
>  >20-Oct-99 12:51 Victor Schneider wrote:
> >> These comments are about the following and later versions under Win32:
> >> Compiled by Borland C++ (Sep 14 1999 12:21:53).

I guess this is one I compiled?  Was it from jim.spath.com?

> >BTW, it would be nice for this screen to add list of libraries with their
> >version numbers linked to lynx at compile time. As well as maikefile flags
> >(now belong to LYNXCOMPILE_OPTS:/ page for configure-based platforms).

Not sure how to do that; suggestions?

> >> 1.  The mailto:address@hidden  doesn't work.  If I recollect from my
> >> earlier work on porting lynx to win32, the lynx code for calling the
> >> sendmail program has to be modified to include the appropriate fields.
> >> Apparently, that hasn't been included in the latest win32 patches.
> >
> >for Japanese version (compiled with SH_EX)
> >you may need using `-noblat' command line flag for that.
> >Does we need changing this default value
> >for convinience of most lynx users?
> >At least this should be written in readme.win file
> >supplied with win32 binary distribution.
> >
> You're right.  I tried the `-noblat' option in the callynx.bat file that
> I use under Windows 98, and sendmail.exe worked.  It really is too bad
> that you need -noblat to make sendmail.exe work, since that is the
> assumption of running lynx.exe under Windows as though it were running
> under some form of Unix.  It would also be really nice if the distributed
> version would come stripped, and would stop crashing under Windows 98 and
> would not corrupt the screen for something simple and basic like calling
> a viewer program.

Any changes to the readme file are welcome.  I have a note in mine that
sendmail doesn't work.

I think the #defines in LYMail need a lot of work; I have not been able
to give it much attention unfortunately.  The logical steps to allow
user-defined mailer in all environments are complex. I'd like to have
one lynx.cfg entry instead of the 2 we have now (system_mail and
system_mail_flags), and have lynx figure out based on the mailer
whether it had to add headers, etc.

I don't know what you mean by stripped.  The binary I built for dev.10
is about 1.1MB.  Seems pretty small for what it does.  I haven't seen
my version crash, either, although I only use it for fairly simple web
pages generally.

------
<http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?q=%22web+home+for+jim+spath%22>
Marvin the Paranoid Android says: