Re: lynx-dev JavaScript again (was no subject)

From: rjp
Subject: Re: lynx-dev JavaScript again (was no subject)
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 20:05:49 +0100

In message <address@hidden>,
           Klaus Weide writes:

> What errors need to be corrected?  What kind of guarantees do you need
> about the "SGML" parser's output?

Missing <body> etc.  I know it's not an error according to the rules,
but it's a bugger to try and compensate for if you're trying to build
and object tree.  Things like omitted end-tags really confuse the object
tree building routines too.

> So how would lynx access its objects after you have "taken them away"?
> They're C, now, if you make them "Javascript classes and objects" they
> aren't...

You can access the methods and properties of the Javascript classes and
objects via the C API.  It's not ideal; I'm not even sure it's plausible,
it just simplifies things from a Javascript perspective.  If Lynx uses
the Javascript objects internally, it's a lot simpler interfacing Javascript
to them.  A tautology, I know, but it would also help people trying to
develop Lynx also, I think.  Learn the Javascript C API, and you can
interface with any of Lynx's internal objects/classes.  It makes a bizarre
kind of sense to me.
--
rob partington % address@hidden % http://lynx.browser.org/