Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.3dev.13: nits

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.3dev.13: nits
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 00:11:59 -0400 (EDT)

991022 Thomas Dickey wrote:
> 991022 pg recalled:
>> In a recent note, Philip Webb said:
>>> `litteral' is simply erroneous in the English language,
>>> as you may know, the word comes from Latin, where it has one `t',
>> As I remember my high school Latin, it has two 't's.  :-)
> Latin origin - for a noun:  littera ; unrelated  littoral  ;-)

it is a mess, which leaves me with a (slightly pink face):
Lewis & Short (the authority on Latin) say "LITTERA (less correctly LITERA)",
but the alumnus newsletter i got recently refers correctly
to the Oxford Classics Dept as the Faculty of Literae Humaniores;
in French, it is `litteral, litterature' (e-acute).

in Latin, it really is LITVS & LITORAL for `beach, on the beach' (L & S),
but French & English insist on `littoral'.