Re: lynx-dev "error uncompressing temp file" (2.7.2)

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev "error uncompressing temp file" (2.7.2)
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 08:25:56 +0100 (BST)

> I don't get the point of all these free email services at all.
> Why would someone with a working mail setup use them at all?
> Why entrust your mails to some remote site?  I must be missing
> something.

The reasons are often somewhat dodgy, but include:

- using your employer's internet connection (firewalled against POP3)
  to access personal email;

- getting around volume charges on email (I think this has happened in
  the past with third world ISPs);

- getting portability across ISPs/employer systems without having to
  understand how to configure POP3 mailers;

- accessing mail from kiosk systems, including Lynx kiosks provided
  strictly for purposes other than email!

- hiding your identity (valuable to the immature, e.g. students) as well
  as spammers.