lynx-dev off-topic musings, was "error uncompressing temp file"

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: lynx-dev off-topic musings, was "error uncompressing temp file"
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 08:37:15 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 23 Oct 1999, Larry W. Virden wrote:

> Re: why use free mail services
>
> Why pay someone for email services when you can get them for free?

Well, my question was "Why would someone with a working mail setup use
them at all?"  I.e. someone like you who already has email working fine.
Presumably most people pay for email service when they pay for access,
so why not use it instead of hoping for a free lunch.

They don't give you those "free" mailboxes out of the goodness of
their hearts...

> Web based email allows one to read their mail anywhere they can get web
> access.  And why not have an email address that doesn't change even if
> you change isps or employers?

That last one is the most flaky.  Who guarantees you that it won't change?
Or that they won't introduce some "feature" next month that makes it
impossible to continue using it?  (And not that that's only theoretical!)

And you didn't pay for it, so they can screw it up whichever way they like
and you can't really complain.

   Klaus