Re: lynx-dev TRST & centering (was: dev.13 progress...)

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: Re: lynx-dev TRST & centering (was: dev.13 progress...)
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 10:13:21 -0600

On Thu, Oct 21, 1999, Klaus Weide (address@hidden) said:

| > It's probably more of a case of getting used to "something different", I
| > suppose.
|
| Maybe that, or page brokenness that becomes apparent now, or flaws
| in the mechanism, or all combined in various ways, differnetly in
| different cases.

Ever consider writing s/w disclaimers for a living, Klaus ... :-) ...

| > OTOH, since TRST-rendering can make quite a difference in the visual
| > appearance (at least as great as the difference between SortaSGML and
| > TagSoup modes), why not have a bindable command to switch between TRST
| > on and off?
|
| Add one, send a patch, if you come to the conclusion that that's called
| for...
|
| I'd rather try to make it better (or explain away the differences ;) ).

That's a good ideal.  In the meantine, while that process is ongoing
though, I think it'll be useful to have the fallback alternative easily
invokable, if only for comparison purposes.

| Adding an easy switch to turn it off would just distract from that...
| but that's just my personal opinion.

OTOH, it can help to isolate problems ... is it (something that seems to
need fixing) in your new code, or in the older mechanism.  Think of it as
a "blink comparator" kind of device :-) .

| > A couple more examples, re the above:
|
| Any examples would be even more appreciated if you could look at the
| HTML and try to figure out why things are as they are... :)

Heh.  If only my knowledge of HTML was extensive enough that I could do
so ...

| You seem to have -tagsoup on?

Yes, by default.

This because in one particular page that I visit several times a day
(Yahoo Finance), the block of market indicators is right-justified in
a very ragged, hard-to-read way using SortaSGML.  With TagSoup, it is
left-justified, and much more legible.  And since I visit there so
frequently ...

| Try it the other way, sometimes it makes a drastic difference.

Yeah ... I forget about it though ...

FWIW, I just tried SortaSGML on the above mentioned Yahoo page using
dev.13, and lo-and-behold, the market indicator block is now LEFT-
justified using *either* parsing mode!  So it seems that your code
has fixed this "problem" for me as well ... another thank you ...!

I've switched my default back to SortaSGML again now.

Anyway ... I'll look into making a realtime switch for the TRST-mode,
though it may take me a awhile, as my available time for doing such
things is in short supply just now.

I also want to add a realtime switch to enable/disable the -nounderline
option, as there are a few sites that are really obnoxious about using
underlineing (eg, www.drudgereport.com), and it's a pain to have to
quit/restart lynx just to view them sanely, when I do run across such
beasts.

/kim