Re: lynx-dev restarting Lynx

From: Michael Warner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev restarting Lynx
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 13:59:36 -0700

On or about 23 Oct, 1999, Kim DeVaughn
<address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 23, 1999, Philip Webb (address@hidden) said:
> |
> | 991023 Kim DeVaughn wrote:
> | > I want to add a realtime switch to enable/disable  -nounderline ,
> | > as there are a few sites that are really obnoxious
> | > about using underlineing (eg, www.drudgereport.com)
> | > and it's a pain to have to quit/restart lynx
> | > just to view them sanely, when I do run across such beasts.
> |
> | run Screen, then you can simply start a new Lynx in a new window.
>
> Oh, I do ... couldn't live without it ...!
>
> It is still a PITA to have to go fire off another process though
> (at least alot moreso than just hiting (say) ^U to turn off the
> underlining for awhile).

I haven't used screen, so I don't know whether this is more or
less a PITA, but...

I use CERNRULES to do automatic redirects to the
"printer-friendly" (uncluttered) versions of pages on some
frequently used sites, but the naming scheme isn't always
completely consistent, so I wanted to be able to temporarily
disable the RULES so I can follow the un-redirected, non-friendly
original link.

To that end, I set up an EXTERNAL for 'http' to start a new lynx
with a different set of command-line arguments.  Do that, and it
would just be 'V', '.'. When you're done with the -nounderline,
'Q' back to the original lynx.

--
Michael Warner
<address@hidden>