lynx-dev Our salaries (was Re: SGML.c changes)

From: Yury Burkatovsky
Subject: lynx-dev Our salaries (was Re: SGML.c changes)
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 15:17:35 +0200 (IST)

On Sun, 17 Oct 1999, Vlad Harchev wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Oct 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 16 Oct 1999, Vlad Harchev wrote:
> >[description of features added snipped]

> > >   As I understand, he was paid for that (he was working in the university
> > > as I
> > > understand).
> >
> > You are wrong.
>
>   OK, but I don't know the salaries of you guys. Mine is $100 (per month) (but
> I've got some contracts and working on them now most of my time). Probably he
> and you (lynx-devers) can afford spending the time on writing the goodly
> documented code.
>
> >    Klaus
> >

>  Best regards,
>   -Vlad

Sorry for the late response. I'm really behind of the lynx's front end.

Okay, now it is proved that I am not the only person in the world who
feels underpayed. Better late than never :)

Let's not discuss here our salaries. If I spoke of mine aloud, some would
envy me and others laugh too hard, I am afraid. Anyone's income has to be
taken in relation to the average basket of consumer's expenses in his or
her country. I believe you wouldn't survive for much time in Beverly Hills
earning $100 a month, but your salary, despite how low it sounds to be,
allows average employee to afford normal life in Russia (with zero or
little savings, though). I hope your working in some side projects that
you mentioned will bring you more butter on your bread.

The main issue for lynx development is not money but time. No matter how
much our salaries are, we all can spend no less and no more time in
developing of free software, than we do. Those who feel that they have to
chase some more $$ for whatever reason, just do not break in with their
ideas.

Vlad, considering your skills and the knowledge of lynx intrinsics you
have accumulated you could have coded many features that would be of
benefit of very wide rainbow of lynx users: just have a look at lynx to-do
list. (I can throw in some of my wishes, too.) Instead, you prefer to
solve style-related points that are mostly the question of taste.
 --
Regards,                                                |       /^^^\
        Yury                                            |     (| , , |)