Re: lynx-dev nothing changes/no way to save changes on O)ption page

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev nothing changes/no way to save changes on O)ption page
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 21:12:16 -0400 (EDT)

991030 Klaus Weide & Henry Nelson discussed:
KW> "menu" (as the alternative to "forms") is also quite confusing
KW> after all the Forms Options Page calls itself "Options Menu"
KW> in the title and header!  Some better terminology would be better?
HN> One idea:
HN>     forms-based-options     "Options Page"
HN>     fixed-menu-options      "Options Menu"
HN> and then make it consistent throughout.
KW> That's good, but we should have one term that encompasses both
KW> (for your right columns).  Otherwise we'd always have to say
KW> "Go to the Options Page or Options Menu"
KW> instead of "Go to the Options Whatsit".
KW> Maybe the "Options Jar" or "Options Screen".
KW> deciding on one of "Options Page" or "Options Menu" for the general term
KW> and using a qualification when a specific one is meant may be reasonable:
KW>      (generic)               "Options Menu" (or "Options Page")
KW>      forms-based-options     "Forms-based Options Menu" (or "F-b O P"?)
KW>      fixed-menu-options      "Fixed-Fields Options Menu" (or "F-F O P")
KW> "Fixed-Fields" is imperfect but I don't have anything better -
KW> for lynx-dev use "old-style" is fine,
KW> but news users shouldn't need to know which came historically first.
KW> Brainstorm on...

assuming this is not a private conversation (smile),
i've always found `options menu' pleonastic/tautological/whatever:
any menu gives you options & a list of options is a kind of menu.
so my vote would be for `Lynx Options Page', which everyone can understand,
which may take the title `Lynx Options: Key-based'
or `Lynx Options: Forms-based', as appropriate.

as for how much choice people should have,
users should be able to change horses via  lynx.cfg  or run-time switch,
unless restricted to key-based at compile-time (by anonymous sites).