Re: lynx-dev Relatively mild dev13 build problems

From: pg
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Relatively mild dev13 build problems
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 07:02:52 -0700 (MST)

In a recent note, T.E.Dickey said:

> Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 15:08:13 -0400 (EDT)
>
> > There's a bunch of isdigit() atc. and tolower() that should have
> > their argument cast to (unsigned char)... (or use one of the lynx
> >    Klaus
>
> unsigned char -- or int?  (I thought the latter was needed to appease the
> compiler).  It's a nuisance (I'd rather not cast the parameter to isdigit
> if it's a char).

Any normal compiler should automatically convert among integral types.
Whether the converted value is what the function expects at runtime
is a different matter.

Also a different matter is converson between (unsigned char *) and
(char *). OS/390's compiler regards these as incompatible (even though
the range of char values is [0 .. 255].  Arguments to the standard
str*() functions must be (char *), not (unsigned char *), per ANSI.

-- gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL