Re: lynx-dev nothing changes/no way to save changes on O)ption page

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev nothing changes/no way to save changes on O)ption page
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 19:26:56 -0600 (CST)

                         =====================
> >     lynx -forms_options=off LYNXOPTIONS:
> > (or equivalents).
> >
> > It's a bit unexpected that this can happen at all; when I found it,
> > I decided it was probably an oversight but might nevertheless be useful
> > (cf. your "gives me ideas"), so I disabled it only as I felt necessary
> > and not completely.  Why not allow the possibility to initially view
> > options in one (more verbose) mode but then change them in the more
> > concise "fixed" mode.
>
> I don't understand.  How can options be changed "in the more concise 'fixed'
> mode" if that isn't compiled in?

I am not taking about the broken code version you experienced.
In the fixed version, the situation only arises when the 'fixed'
(Menu) is selected by lynx.cfg or command line option as the one
to be used, and this in turn is impossible if it is not compiled it.

> If the "abnormal" state is intentionally left in, then a "(!)" should be
> appended to each and every option, or another message should be created
> to tell the user that these are the present selections, which are not
> modifiable by the user.

Maybe whoever implemented the Forms Options in a way that the page can
be reached when FORMS_OPTIONS is FALSE will do so?   My "work" consisted
only in disabling and taking away, I am not eager to add something
positive to make this a more useful mode.

  Klaus