Re: lynx-dev TRST & lynxcgi

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev TRST & lynxcgi
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 03:34:45 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, Henry Nelson wrote:

>               #!/bin/csh -f
>               echo "Content-type: text/html"
>               echo ""
>               echo "<h1>Good morning\!</h1></body></html>"
>     BEFORE attempting to use this _or any_ script or program in a cgi,
>     debug it.  Say you named the file "echotest.ch".  Enter "./echotest.ch"
>     at the prompt, and you should get as output the content between the
>     quotes.  If you don't, the problem is with your script, not Lynx (*)
[ bigsnip ]

> (*)  Isn't Lynx caching lynxcgis?  Since lynxcgis are by definition
> local files, why in the world do they need to be cached?

They may do a lot of work that may be expensive to repeat.  For example,
retrieve a remote document by using a child lynx process, as in my
examples...

> I'd prefer that
> Lynx not cache them, i.e., I could edit a lynxcgi in another screen unknown
> to Lynx, and hit return on the link to reflect changes made, rather than
> having to remember to hit "x".  (Or is this a faulty interpretation of
> what lynxcgi should be doing?)

You have the full power of HTTP headers at your fingertips.
Just add a line

      echo "Cache-control: no-cache"

before or after the Content-type line in your script, and you should
get what you want.

By default, the behavior is just as for http URLs - no explicit cache
control (by Cache-control or other forms) means it gets cached, whether
there happens to be a CGI script behind it or not.

(I mean normal rendered-document caching - the SOURCE_CACHE caching checks
specifically whether the protocol is http, so it won't cache lynxcgi (unless
you compiled with DEBUG_SOURCE_CACHE defined).)

  Klaus