Re: lynx-dev textarea no wrap but horiz scroll with form=virtual

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev textarea no wrap but horiz scroll with form=virtual
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 03:24:35 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, Eric Eldred wrote:

> other user agents properly wrap text in a textarea of
> a form when the attribute virtual is applied to the
> form.  lynx still does not (with lynx2.8.3.dev.14
> on linux),

There is no official "virtual" attribute in HTML.  Even the
two most popular browsers don't agree on how to interpret wrap.
I think one of them recognizes an attribute value of "virtual",
but I doubt that the attribute name is "form" as you imply in
your subject line.

> but instead renders each line of the form with
> horizontal scrolling of long lines to edit.
>
> this makes it a bit hard for visually impaired users.
> as you move down to each line, the cursor ends up on
> the end of the long line,

Since you are using the latest dev version, you can use these
for better moving up/down through textarea lines:

KEYMAP:0x100:LPOS_PREV_LINK # Like PREV_LINK, last column pos if form input
KEYMAP:0x101:LPOS_NEXT_LINK # Like NEXT_LINK, last column pos if form input

> and you have to move it back to
> the far beginning to read the text, move the cursor
> along as you read, and then backspace over the text
> to re-enter changes. the delete key doesn't work, for
> example.

What do you expect the delete key to do?
You may be able to set it up to do what you want.
See the KEYMAP section in lynx.cfg.  Look for "PASS".

[ See other message in response to yours for how to enable
external textarea editng. ]

   Klaus