Re: lynx-dev TRST & lynxcgi

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev TRST & lynxcgi
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 06:10:49 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Philip Webb wrote:

> 991109 Henry Nelson wrote:
> > Lynxcgi is a powerful tool.  The main reason Lynx is being loaded up
> > with pure garbage and trying to emulate MSIE and WORD is
> > the gross misunderstanding that lynxcgi, lynxprog and lynxexec
> > are crutches of some kind.  it's truly the other way around.
> > MSIE and WORD can't touch a candle to Lynx because they don't have them.
>
> so it's all the more important that they be documented properly, yes?
>
> > Start with basics.  Here is a script that gives a bare bones message,
> > ie feeds Lynx an html document:
> >     #!/bin/csh -f
> >     echo "Content-type: text/html"
> >     echo ""
> >     echo "<h1>Good morning\!</h1></body></html>"
> > Didn't work?  Did you remember to change the permission: % chmod 755?
> > Is the path to the script complete and correct?
> > did you escape the "!"?  Is there really a "/bin/csh"?
> > Once the script itself is working, just put a link in some html page,
> > eg a bookmark page:  lynxcgi://home/lamatia/.lynx/lynxcgi/echotest.ch
> > Using lynx compiled with  --enable-cgi-links
> > hit return on that link, and you'll get the display:
> >                                                                   CGI test
> >
> >                                  Good morning!
>
> that is indeed what happens ...
>
> > No need, and preferred if you DON'T, edit userdefs.h or lynx.cfg.
> > Simply replace "echotest.ch" with any _working_ cgi.
> > Compile a program you've written in c for even greater speed and power.
>
> no, not just any program: neither you nor Supported URLs tell the user
> how to get the script to process a file from Lynx.

Changed emphasis: "any working _cgi_ [script,program]".

> your example above has no input from Lynx or from any file;

So you may want to add some links to the usual places for CGI info.

> the miniscule documentation available doesn't mention the possibility,

It is implied by the letters C, G, I.

> but does warn users not to use lynxcgi outside strict limits.

It says:
   This is a Lynxism and should be used only in local documents
   intended solely for Lynx, or for limited local testing of CGI
   scripts without an http server.

Are these strict limits?

Obviously "lynxcgi:" links make little sense in documents intended for
clients other than Lynx.

The next (final) section in Supported URLs, "The LYNXfoo internal URLs:",
isn't about lynxcgi, it is about URL schemes starting with (uppercase) LYNX.

> i don't believe lynxcgi is what is neede for my purpose:
> if you still think so, read my other message (to be sent next)
> & tell me clearly how to do it that way, rather than the way i've found.

If you find another of the many ways Lynx has for invoking external
programs suits you better, that's fine.  I find 'G', ^A, x, <enter>
more convenient than your sequence of keys (and once you've got it
you don't need to think about filenames), but that's, apparently,
just me.

As for "tell me clearly" - you've got my script using sed (which
didn't work for you),  You've got an awk script that reportedly
works for you.  What's the problem in replacing that sed invocation
with an awk invocation?

   Klaus