Re: lynx-dev something wrong with LYNXKEYMAP

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev something wrong with LYNXKEYMAP
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 11:56:24 +0300 (MSK)

10-Nov-99 19:39 Klaus Weide wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Oct 1999, Henry Nelson wrote:

>> Actually, I still am of the opinion that LYNXKEYMAP is a potential source
>> of confusion for the unwary.  From looking at the advice given from people
>> on this list to users asking for help, many (most?) users think the 'K'eymap
>> page and "lynx_help/keystrokes/" files such as "scrolling_help.html" offer
>> the same information; they don't.  When they differ, a person may be
>> confused.

> Well, things could be improved.

> I am not planning such an effort now, but there is one point that can be
> changed easily:   The 'K'eymap page has a link at the top which promises
> to provide "help on [1]Current Key Map".  But if you follow that link,
> it does nothing of that sort.  It doesn't explain the Current Key Map,
> it just gives a different (and static, i.e. not the "Current") listing.
> The only thing about it that's more helpful is that it has links to
> more detailed descriptions (but those don't describe the concept of
> "Current Key Map" either).

> Either that "help on [1]Current Key Map" should be retargeted, if there
> is an adequate location somewhere (is there?), or it should be omitted.
Why not? Vote for removal.

I think an ultimate idea to add a help link for every internal
page was wrong (*). IMHO, the only useful case is in "Options menu"
where lots of details easily available now in case of questions (well,
only for form-based menu).

(*) There are futher problems with history stack polution / or
impossibility to return back to menu in case is was not pushed into the
history stack.