lynx-dev lynx2.8.2 bug- line too long with external editor in text field

From: Roy Rodenstein
Subject: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2 bug- line too long with external editor in text field
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:03:10 -0500

Hi :) I'm the world's biggest lynx fan. No, really. You should see the
lynx-ifying script I made to use with mutt :)

Anyway, I recently got lynx2.8.2 and noticed a problem when using the
'control-V e' feature to invoke an external editor for filling out a
textarea. It worked great, except I had run into line-length limits in
browsers on textareas, so I tried a very long line in the editor and
sure enough, when I saved it Lynx crashed with the usual message. I
tried it again and this time Lynx didn't even print the message, it
simply exited with vim's 'file was written' message- as if I had been in
just the editor, not lynx!

The platform is RedHat 5.2, and here's the 'uname -a'

   Linux havoc.gtf.org 2.2.3 #7 SMP Fri Mar 26 18:39:36 EST 1999 i686 unknown

This was with Lynx 2.8.2rel.1 (01 Jun 1999)

It seems the problem is just a conflict between vim/editors, with no
line-lenght limit, and HTML forms. I don't know if the line-length limit
is in the HTML spec or just most browsers use a certain limit.

Sorry if this has been reported, I didn't find it listed. Good luck, and
thanks for your wonderful contributions!

--
                                                       li'l cow
Roy Rodenstein                                           /\_/\