Re: lynx-dev something wrong with LYNXKEYMAP

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev something wrong with LYNXKEYMAP
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 18:11:26 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> 12-Nov-99 12:57 Henry Nelson wrote:
> > On a related thread, is there any chance you will reconsider not
> > duplicating the "development version" (http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/current/)
> > and "your lynx.cfg" (LYNXCFG:/) links on the =)nformation page, and
> > make them available only on the form-based O)ption Menu?  The Option
> > Menu is where they have meaning, not on a page that is information about
> > the current document.
>
> =)information page is not the best place for that links, but where is a
> better one?

I agree it's not a logical place.  I also don't know a better one.

> 1) It is a reasonable thing to have a link to a recent version depositary
> next to the version/date information _somewhere_ in a noticeable place
> in lynx to encourage users to upgrade. Lot of querries to lynx-dev prove
> the need of this.
>
> 2) =)information page had no links before. So we got no additional
> complexity for user to navigate across the "important links" and new
> one, informational.
>
> 3) When moved to the options menu, old-fashion menu users will lack the
> functionality. Is that you want to?

I find your three points convincing (until someone comes up with a
better idea).  But maybe there should be a link to it on the 'O'ptions
menu, too.

> > and "your lynx.cfg" (LYNXCFG:/) links on the =)nformation page, and
>
> this only happen for DOS/WINDOWS ports (could be removed, yes),
> autoconf-based ports read "compile-time settings" here.

No, not just for DOS/WINDOWS ports.  It depends on configuration (compile
time and runtime).

For example try
   -restrictions=compileopts_info  ->  "your lynx.cfg" link on 'I'nfo page
   -restrictions=compileopts_info,lynxcfg_info ->   no extra link at all
   (or just -anonymous)

(assuming ./configure without --disable-config-info)

   Klaus