Re: lynx-dev About mailto: addresses

From: Eduardo Chappa L.
Subject: Re: lynx-dev About mailto: addresses
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 13:16:18 -0800 (PST)

*** Larry W. Virden (address@hidden) wrote Today:

:) With a little modification, one could make the info on the mailer something
:) that could be read in from lynxrc, right?  So that different users could
:) use different mailers.  Perhaps with a default value for people who
:) don't have a mail program which works in this mode (like a GUI mailer -
:) netscape, outlook, etc.)...

Yes I agree, the problem is how do you pass the argument to the mailer.
For example pine3.x does not support the -url switch that I described in
my earlier post, which means more or less that there is no uniform way to
do it. Of course you can have different parameters, say %s for the whole
link (mailto:address@hidden) and %a for just the address and so
on. Is it fair to assume that every mailer understands the address as a
parameter? I mean, can we assume that the command:

  mail_program address@hidden

is always used to compose a message to address@hidden using mail_program. If
that's the case, then there would be a possibility for a patch. Comments
anyone?

Eduardo
http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/personal.html