Re: lynx-dev LYNXCFG:, LYNXCOMPILEOPTS: (was: something wrong with LYNXK

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNXCFG:, LYNXCOMPILEOPTS: (was: something wrong with LYNXKEYMAP)
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 16:32:29 +0900 (JST)

> I don't agree with discouraging use of the old-style menu completely
> (like Henry seems to suggest), though.  What with the bugs that are

Actually I'm more devious than that. :)  Not having all that clutter on
there actually would ENCOURAGE me to use the "old-style" menu.  I really
find LYNXCFG:/ superfluous.  I know basically what is in lynx.cfg
anyway, and if I want to view it, I would prefer to view it as a text
file (g => ./.lynx/lynx.cfg) since then I can see the comments and notes
to myself that I've put in there.

> > IMHO, for forms-based menu one could move LYNXCOMPILEOPTS:/ from
> > the =)information page down to the O)ptions menu (as a separate link
> > or a reference from the LYNXCFG:/ in turn. Does it have any sence to
> > have 'lynxcfg_info' disabled but 'compileopts_info' enabled the same

Was there a way to disable 'lynxcfg_info'?  I know we have '--disable-
config-info', thank goodness!, but what is the option to disable 'lynxcfg
_info'?

I wonder if the description of the option is correct:
  --disable-config-info                 (define NO_CONFIG_INFO)
        Use this option to disable extended browsable configuration information
        (a screen that shows the result of the configuration script, as well
        as extended lynx.cfg viewing with a pointer to the lynx.cfg file and
        additional functionality).

The description suggests to me anyway that there will be NO "extended
lynx.cfg viewing", yet with this option set, I still have the "your
lynx.cfg" link on the =)nformation Page, the very page where I don't
want it.  Bug?

I see nothing "extended" about the viewing of lynx.cfg through LYNXCFG:/;
it's an abreviation (no comments), not something extra.  To get the same
result as LYNXCFG:/, all I need is a sed one-liner in a PRINTER or
DOWNLOADER.  Lynx could just as well have file://localhost/path/to/lynx.cfg
since it needed it to start up with anyway (protection against /dev/null of
course).

> 'lynxcfg_info' may show info specific to the machine lynx is running on
Sometimes.  But if it is a private lynx.cfg, then it will be specific to
that user, or perhaps even specific to some purpose a user has, i.e.,
multiple lynx.cfg files.

__Henry